Healthy Oscar Party Appetizers: Stuffing Muffins and More

Sunday is Oscar Night. I haven't seen any of the movies. Not one... but I'll have it on in the background while I'm doing something. I do love the red carpet arrivals and it's tradition to make Oscar Party snacks. A couple of years ago I won Wolfgang Puck's (he is the official Oscar after-party Chef) Oscar Party Food Contest with my Top Hat Sliders.

This year I am making Roasted Butternut Squash Stuffing Muffins. I made a test batch last week and OMG so flippin good. They are very adaptable. I used crumbed cooked sausage in them but you could use ground beef, ground turkey, next November when I have a ton of turkey leftover I'm going to try that. If you are wanting something that eats like "stuffing" but are like me don't eat bread or just cutting back on the simple white carbs give these a try. I hope you enjoy them.

Brunch Weight Loss Bariatric Surgery WLS RNY VSG Recipes Cooking Blog

Shelly's Roasted Butternut Squash "Stuffing Muffins"

2 cups of Roasted Butternut Squash Cubes (see below)
drizzle of Olive Oil
sprinkle of Kosher Salt
3/4 cup Cooked Sausage, crumbled (ground beef or turkey is great too)
1/2 large yellow Onion, diced
3 Eggs, beaten
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
3 Tablespoons Multigrain Pancake Mix
a few twists of Black Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Dried Thyme

Roast the Butternut Squash cubes: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place them on a baking sheet in a single layer. Drizzle with a Tablespoon of olive oil and a sprinkle of Kosher Salt. Roast for 35-40 minutes, turning once or twice during cooking. Set aside to cool slightly. You'll need 2 cups for this recipe. Leftover cubes are great on a salad, mixed in scrambled eggs, dropped in soup or chili.

Reduce oven to 350. Saute onion till golden. Set aside to cool slightly. Beat eggs, add cooled onions, 2 cups of squash cubes and remaining ingredients. Stir till combined. Spoon into 24 cup mini muffin tin that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Cool a couple of minutes, they will firm a bit and pull away from pan. 

Brunch Weight Loss Bariatric Surgery WLS RNY VSG Recipes Cooking Blog

These are great as a "stuffing" alternative at the holidays, a side to soup or chili, with a salad, or as a unique party appetizer or Easter brunch. If you have any vegetarian pals coming over omit sausage and up the squash and onion or add sauteed mushrooms to yield 3/4 cup. They heat up great! I nuke them slightly (1 minute or so) and then crisp them back up in a toaster oven. I like crispy edges.

Brunch Weight Loss Bariatric Surgery WLS RNY VSG Recipes Cooking Blog

Squash not your thing... Here's a few other protein-packed Oscar party food options: